Summary: Two methods to change Seagate external hard drives from read-only back to read-write, so that you can edit, delete, and rename files on this Seagate external hard drive. Also, if a Seagate external hard drive is read-only or files are locked on Mac due to NTFS format, you can use iBoysoft NTFS for Mac to mount it in read-write mode on Mac.
- Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Mac Osx
- Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Mac Os
- Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Macbook Pro
- Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Mac Catalina
When you plug a Seagate external hard drive into your Mac, one of the worst things would be that you find your Seagate hard drive is read-only. Your photos, videos, and other files you saved from a Windows PC could be locked. Or your Seagate external drive could be write-protected.
Generally, there are three reasons for Seagate external HDD being read-ony on Mac:
Restore Lost Volume from Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive for Mac Searching for an instant solution to recover data from your Segate Backup drive. Well here is the pesrfect solution, integrated with sophisticated recovery algorithms Remo can recover data from any kind of strage drive. Mac OS 10.9.4 Time Machine Updates; Why does my hard drive report less capacity than indicated on the drive's label? Will my Seagate drive work with macOS 10.15 (Catalina)? Apple Boot Camp cannot be used on an external drive; Will my Seagate drive work with MacOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion)?
- 1. Use NTFS driver for Mac to write to NTFS Seagate external hard drives
- 2. Change the permissions from read-only to read-write Seagate external hard drive
- 3. Repair disk corruption that makes Seagate external hard drive read-only
Are you facing such disk problem right now? Well, you are not the only one.
'I'm having a problem using my Seagate external hard drive. I only have permission to read files on my external hard drive, but I am not allowed to write or edit files on the drive when using Mac OS. Why this happened and how to fix Seagate external hard drive read-only on Mac?'
You might have trouble backing up or adding files to Seagate external hard drives on Mac. But it's not necessarily because the disk is locked but some other reasons. For example, the Seagate external hard drive becomes read-only on Mac.
In this article, we introduced three possible reasons for disk being read-only on Mac, and you can find solutions to change the external drives from read-only accordingly.
Why is your Seagate external hard drive read only on Mac?
You may be wondering why my Seagate external hard drive is read-only. In fact, read-only Seagate external hard drive results from various reasons. It could be the NTFS format that makes this trouble since NTFS is not writable on Mac. Generally, there are three possible reasons:
- 1. The Seagate external hard drive is NTFS formatted.
- 2. You don't have permissions to access the Seagate external hard drive
- 3. The Seagate external hard drive has some disk errors
In the following part, we'll go into details about how to fix the Seagate external hard drive read-onli issue in different situations.
Case 1: The Seagate external hard drive is NTFS formatted
Most Seagate external drives are read-only on Mac because they are pre-fomatted with Windows NT file system (NTFS) by the manufacturer. So your Seagate HDD is read only on Mac, which affects Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Touch, Portable drive, and Slim.
However, macOS disabled the NTFS write support by default. If you connect an NTFS formatted external hard drive to your Mac, you will find that files on this disk will be locked or show as read-only. You can only read but can't add files to this Seagate external hard drive on Mac.
How to check if your Seagate hard drive is NTFS formatted on Mac?
- 1. Open the Finder and click Go at the upper right of your desktop, then choose Utilities.
- 2. Find Disk Utility and open it.
- 3. Select your Seagate external hard drive in the left sidebar of Disk Utility.
- 4. Then you can see Windows NT File System on the right.
- 5. You can click the Info icon at the upper right to check if this disk is writable.
Solution: Use NTFS for Mac to write to Seagate external hard drives on Mac
In this situation, what you need is not to unlock the Seagate external hard drive but a NTFS for Mac driver. Many people would think about converting NTFS to APFS or formatting the Seagate drive for Mac to make it compatible with macOS. However, the truth is that you can fix the Seagate external hard drive read-only issue without formatting, i.e. you don't have to lose your files on this drive.
Alternatively, you can download NTFS for Mac software to enable NTFS drive write support on Mac with no fuss. There are a great number of NTFS for Mac in the market, and iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is used here as an example.
iBoysoft NTFS for Mac: NTFS for Mac driver and more
iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is a handy disk management tool, which can help you mount NTFS formatted external hard drives, USB flash drives, SD cards, etc. on Mac with write support. This NTFS drive mounter is also compatible with macOS 11 (Big Sur), 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.14 (Mojave), macOS 10.13 (High Sierra).
How to use iBoysoft NTFS for Mac to write to NTFS Seagate external hard drive on Mac?
- 1. Download and install iBoysoft NTFS for Mac on your Mac, then restart the computer.
- 2. Launch this NTFS driver for Mac and connect the read-only Seagate external hard drive to Mac.
- 3. Then, you can fully write and copy data to the Seagate external hard drive on Mac after the drive is mounted successfully.
Aside from being an NTFS for Mac driver, iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is also a wonderful tool to manage files on NTFS external drives. It lets users open, monut, repair, and erase NTFS drives on Mac natively and seamlessly.
Case 2: You don't have permissions to access the Seagate external hard drive
If your Seagate hard drive denies your access or restricts you to read-only activities, there is likely an permission issue. Being a multiuser operating system, macOS sets up access permissions for all files and folders on the system, including external drives.
Solution: Change permissions on Seagate external hard drive
To fix the read-only Seagate external hard drive issue, you need to regain full access. You can ignore the ownership or change the sharing and permissions of this disk in the Finder by following the below steps.
- 1. Select Seagate external hard drive on your desktop or in the Finder sidebar, and then press Command + I to get information of the drive.
- 2. Scroll to the bottom of this list and click on the triangle that is at the left side of the Sharing & Permissions tab.
- 3. Click on the lock icon at the right bottom and type in the password to unlock this tab.
- 4. Check the box to Ignore ownership on this volume, or you can toggle it off and then on if it's already enabled.
- 5. Click on the gear button and choose Apply to enclosed items… to save your changes.
Then you can go to check if your Seagate external hard drive is read-only still. If not, you will be able to write to this disk.
But if you can't access the Seagate external hard drive as it's locked still. Well, the disk may be really locked by certain programs, especially for Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Touch. Then you need to unlock the password protection or hardware encryption with Seagate Secure software.
Case 3: The Seagate external hard drive has some disk errors
If your Seagate external hard drive becomes read-only not for the reasons above, you may need to have a check if there is any inner disk error. Some formatting errors will make an external hard drive read-only on Mac. If this is the cause, usually you will see a warning in Disk Utility that states it is only being mounted in read-only mode.
SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Luxe USB Type-C Flash Drive NZ$54.95. Chat now (Opens in a new window) or call 0800-692-7753. SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Luxe USB Type-C Flash Drive Close. Display Gallery Item 1; Display Gallery Item 2; Display Gallery Item 3; Display Gallery Item 4. Download and installation of SanDisk Memory Zone app required. Sandisk ultra drive flash drive download mac. Read speeds up to 150MB/s. Write speed lower and vary by capacity. USB Type-C port with USB 3.1 Gen 1/ USB 3.0 support required. Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending upon host device, interface, usage conditions and other factors. SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Luxe USB Type-C Flash Drive HK$378. Chat now (Opens in a new window) or call 800-908-988. SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Luxe USB Type-C Flash Drive Close. Display Gallery Item 1; Display Gallery Item 2; Display Gallery Item 3; Display Gallery Item 4. Download and installation of SanDisk Memory Zone app required.
Click to see more errors of the Seagate external hard drive not showing up on Windows.
Solution 1: Fix read-only Seagate external hard drive in Disk Utility
Fortunately, there is a built-in tool called First Aid that can check and repair some minor disk errors. When your Seagate external hard drive becomes read-only due to logical disk problems, you can use First Aid to repair it then.
Here is the guidance to fix read-only Seagate external hard drive with Disk Utility:
- 1. Open Disk Utility.
- 2. Select the read-only Seagate external hard drive on the left window.
- 3. Click First Aid in the top center and choose Run to repair this disk.
Solution 2: Reformat Seagate external hard drive
However, if Disk Utility fails to fix read-only Seagate external hard drive, the last thing you can try to remove write protection from Seagate external hard drives would be reformatting. Reformatting will assign a new file system to this disk, consequently, the Seagate external hard drive issue could be fixed.
But before you go ahead to erase this disk, you should know that reformatting will wipe the files on this hard drive. Thus, you are advised to check if you have a copy of data back in the first place , or you can recover lost data from this external hard drive with iBoysoft Mac data recovery to avoid data loss.
If you're sure that you have data backup in hand, you can proceed to reformat this read-only external hard drive with the following tutorial.
- 1. Open Disk Utility as you did before.
- 2. Select the read-only Seagate external hard drive in the left sidebar.
- 3. Click the Erase button in the top center of Disk Utility.
- 4. Fill in name, format, and scheme when the pop-up asks.
- 5. Click Erase to confirm this operation.
A final note
Besides Seagate external hard drives, Toshiba, WD, Samsung, or other brands' external hard drives will come across the read-only problem. It is common to see people complaining WD My Passport external hard drives suddenly became read-only on Mac. You can also use these solutions to fix this problem. What's more, an NTFS formatted WD external hard drive won't work on your PS4 console for gaming as well. But if you are unable to fix it with the solutions suggested above, you can only send it to local disk repair store for help, but that will cost a lot usually.
Oct 16, 2020 • Filed to: Answer Hard Drive Problems • Proven solutions
Help! How do I recover data from my Seagate External Hard Drive!
As the biggest supplier of digital data storage in the world, Seagate devotes itself to make external hard drives that are high quality and high capacity for companies and ordinary people; many people choose this brand. However, the Seagate external hard drive owners also can't avoid a data loss disaster due to some reasons.
Can You Recover Files Deleted from External Hard Drive?
The files you think have been lost due to deletion or formatting are still somewhere on your Seagate external hard disk. Because the space that the files occupy is only marked as 'available to reuse' and the files become invisible. And thus, you're unable to access, edit, copy, and read the deleted data. When encountering this problem, what you should do first is to stop saving new data onto your disk, or the lost data will be overwritten. Then you can try restoring deleted files by yourself using professional Seagate recovery software, or getting hard disk data back using Seagate In-Lab Data Recovery Service.
How Much Does It Cost for Data Recovery?
Seagate In-Lab Data Recovery Service might be a nice option for some of those who lose important data from a Seagate hard drive. How much does Seagate charge for data recovery? The data recovery price can range from $499 to $2,000, and sometimes, it will be higher. The charge lies in different data loss circumstances. Besides, to recover data from Seagate external hard disk, you have to send the broken drive to the Seagate lab, pre-paying the shipping fees.
When it comes to a hard drive data recovery program, the average pricing plan for Windows users in the market is $50 and for Mac users, $100. Unlike the lab data recovery service, you can recover Seagate data on your own. Most of Seagate data recovery tools are intuitive and straightforward. A novice can perform the job and get the desired results with consummate ease.
Can data always be recovered? Unfortunately, no. No matter which way you choose, chances are that your data present on Seagate hard drive is gone forever, especially when you write new data on it. What we suggest is that you should do your best to retrieve the deleted or lost files if they are really important to you. Here are two Seagate external hard drive recovery solutions you can take yourself before spending a fortune and much effort in-lab data recovery.
- Solution 1. Recoverit - #1 Seagate Data Recovery Software
- Solution 2. Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Errors
Solution 1. How to Restore Files from Seagate External Hard Drive
A piece of professional and secure Seagate data recovery software can help you get lost data back more promptly and easily, for example, Recoverit Data Recovery Software. It is an effective and reliable external hard drive data recovery tool to help you to recover lost data from Seagate hard drive. No matter whether files are lost due to virus attack, formatting, corruption, deletion, or some other reasons, this Seagate drive recovery software can help each of you retrieve them all quickly and safely.
Recoverit Features You Should Know
- The Seagate drive recovery software can recover more than 96% of lost data.
- The disk data recovery tool supports the recovery of over 1000 types and formats of data.
- To recover files lost on Seagate drive, Recoverit needs deep scan the device on your computer.
- Recoverit Data Recovery enables the hidden files to be visible and accessible, even the RAW data.
Video Tutorial: External Hard Drive Recovery Process
How to Restore Files from Seagate External Hard Drive
With Recoverit Seagate Recovery Software, you can rescue your Seagate hard drive data within 3 steps and minutes. However, it is a Desktop tool on your computer. So before the Seagate hard drive recovery, you need to connect the disk to your computer and make it detectable. Now, let's have a look at how Recoverit works to recover your data.
Select Seagate external hard drive
To avoid lots of time being wasted, Recoverit will ask you to select a specific location where the data loss happens. To recover data from Seagate hard drive, you need to select the device and click 'Start' to go on.
Scan Seagate hard drive
Recoverit Seagate Recovery will immediately scan your hard drive deeply and thoroughly to dig out all the hidden data. Even though the data gets lost in a lost partition, the software can deal with them.
Preview and restore files from Seagate drive
When the scan completes, all the recoverable files are listed in the scanning results by file type or file path. You can preview them one by one, select those you want to recover and click on the 'Recover' button to restore lost data.
Tips for Seagate Drive Data Recovery
Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Mac Osx
- After the scanning ends, you can search the file name or path in the search box to find a specific file. This can save you a lot of time during the Seagate external hard drive data recovery.
- When saving recovered files, remember to save them on your computer hard drive or another external device, but not the Seagate hard drive where you lost your data. Otherwise, you may overwrite the lost files.
Solution 2. How to Fix and Recover Seagate External Hard Drive
Sometimes, you might find the data are locked in the Seagate drive due to the hard disk errors, like external hard drive not detecting, not recognized, not showing up, and anything else. To restore and access the files, you can fix Seagate hard drive. An incompatible or bad USB port likely causes some hard drive problems. So the primary solution would be trying another USB cable, port, and even computer. If it is not workable, don't worry. Here are 2 ways to help you.
Fix 1 Change the Drive Letter
When you find the Seagate hard drive not showing in your File Explorer or Disk Management, you can try changing the Seagate drive letter to make it show up on your computer.
- Right-click the Windows logo and click 'Disk Management' to open it.
- Locate and right-click your Seagate external hard drive. You should confirm the original drive letter of the Seagate device.
- Click 'Change Drive Letter and Paths..'. On the next two pop-up windows, choose 'Change..' and click the drop-down arrow.
- Select a letter you like to reassign a new letter to the Seagate drive. The new letter should be unique on your computer.
- Click 'OK' > 'Yes' and mark the Partition as Active.
Finally, to make the external drive show up, you need to restart the computer. Oftentimes, you'll find the Seagate drive recognized and the stored data accessible.
Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Mac Os
Fix 2 Reinstall USB Controllers
- Right-click the Windows logo and click 'Device Manager' to open it.
- Click the right arrow to expand 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'.
- Find and right-click 'USB Root Hub'. Click 'Properties' > 'Power Management'.
- 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is ticked by default. Uncheck it.
- If there are multiple tags named 'USB Root Hub', repeat the above steps and reboot the computer.
To Wrap Up
After the operations, your computer can usually read the Seagate external hard drive and show you the hidden data. If all the two Seagate hard drive fixes can't help you restore files, please resort to Recoverit Data Recovery. It should be a complete and ultimate solution for each of you, even a novice. Download it and recover data from external hard drive not detected in no time.
Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Macbook Pro
What's Wrong with Drive
Why Does Seagate Download Software To Configure Drive For Mac Catalina
- Recover Your Drive
- Fix Your Drive
- Format/Wipe Drive
- Know Your Drive