The installation process for software depends on your operating system and the program you are installing. As a result of these many combinations, we have created the steps below as a general guideline. The following does not cover errors during the installation process, as they are too vast for one page. Search our site for further information on specific errors during the setup.
- download free, software For Mac
- Download And Install Software On Mac Os
- Download And Install Software On Mac Unidentified Developer
- Download Software For Mac
- How To Download And Install Software On Macbook Pro
download free, software For Mac
- Installing Firefox on Mac. To download and install Firefox: Visit the Firefox download page in any browser (for example, Safari). It will automatically detect the platform and language on your computer and recommend the best version of Firefox for you. Click Download Firefox.
- Steps: Determine what you have. If you have a file ending in dmg you have a disk image.
- Global Nav Open Menu Global Nav Close Menu; Apple; Shopping Bag +.
- Make sure your computer meets the system requirements of the program, game, or utility you are attempting to install.
- The manual, or a README file, usually contains instructions on how to install a program. Find it online at the software website, or in a text file in the same directory as the installation files.
- If you have problems installing software, or it takes a long time, close or disable any other running programs.
- After installing a new program, if it prompts you to reboot the computer, do so.
On your Mac, do any of the following: For apps downloaded from the internet: In the Downloads folder, double-click the disk image or package file (looks like an open box).If the provided installer doesn’t open automatically, open it, then follow the onscreen instructions.
Microsoft Windows users
How to install from a CD or DVD
Many software titles, games, and utilities have an AutoPlay feature. This feature automatically starts a setup screen for the software when the CD or DVD is inserted. If your program contains this feature, follow the steps that appear after inserting the disc into the computer.
If AutoPlay is disabled on your computer or unavailable on the software disc, follow these steps.
Download And Install Software On Mac Os
- Open My Computer.
- In the My Computer window, open the drive that contains the installation files. For example, if the files are on the CD-ROM drive, open the D: drive or letter of your CD-ROM drive.
- In the drive that contains your files, locate either the executablesetup (i.e., 'setup.exe') or install file. Double-clicking this file starts the installation process. If there are multiple setup or install files, locate the executable file or double-click each setup or install file until you find the file that starts the installation.
Many times the icons associated with the installation files have the same name.
Install a CD on a computer with no disc drive
Many new computers no longer have disc drives. If your computer does not have a disc drive, try finding the software online. Computer drivers, software for hardware devices, games, and other programs are available for download and can be installed from a download. If you have the product key, it doesn't matter where you get the program.
If the program is not available for download, copy all the CD or DVD contents to another drive on another computer. For example, you could copy the contents of the disc to a USB flash drive and then install the program from the USB flash drive.
How to install from a DownloadTip
If you need help with downloading a program, see: How to download an app, file, or program from the Internet.
- Download the program from the website providing the program.
- Open the download folder.
- If the file you downloaded is an executable file, double-click the file icon to start the setup process. If the downloaded file is compressed (e.g., .zip), you must extract the file's contents before setup can begin. Fortunately, this function is built into most versions of Windows.
- Once the files are extracted, double-click the setup or install file to install the program.
How to install from a USB flash drive
- Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and find the USB drive that is often the last drive letter.
- Once the drive is opened, find the setup or executable file, and double-click the file icon to start the setup process.
Installing from MS-DOS or the Windows command line
Users installing a program from Microsoft DOS should have a basic understanding of the MS-DOS commands. If you are unfamiliar with any of the commands listed below, click the link to get additional information on that specific command.
- Before installing a program in MS-DOS, you must switch to the drive or directory that contains the installation files. If you are installing a program from a CD or diskette, switch to that drive. If the installation files are located in a different directory, use the dir command to list directories and the cd command to switch directories.
- Once you are in the directory or drive containing the installation files, run the executable setup file. Many times this can be done by typing setup or install at the prompt to start the installation. If both of these commands give a bad command or file name error message, type dir *.exe or dir *.com or dir *.bat. These commands list any executable files found in the directory or drive. If any files are listed, execute these files to run the installation or setup of the program. If no files are listed when typing all three of the commands above, you're in the incorrect directory or drive letter for that program.
How to install on a Mac
Modern Apple computers, like the iMac and MacBook, don't have CD-ROM or DVD drives. Consequently, the following section shows you how to install from a download.
How to install from a download
- Click the Finder icon on the Dock at the bottom of the screen.
- On the left side of the window that appears, under the Favorites section, click the selector.
- Locate the program you'd like to install and double-click it.
Download And Install Software On Mac Unidentified Developer
- Follow the guided instructions to install the program.
- Once the program is installed, drag it to the Applications folder and delete the installation file (in this case, FileZilla_3.49_macosx-x86.app.tar.bz2).
- Click the selector to see the program you installed.
Download Software For Mac
How To Download And Install Software On Macbook Pro
- See the software definition for further information and related links.